Student & Career News
- Actuary continues to rank high among best jobs in the U.S.
- An Actuary for the World Bank discusses his job in the Disaster Risk Financing and Insurance Program and how he and his colleagues are looking for innovative ways to apply actuarial science in the fight against global poverty.
- CAS Student Central is giving away $300 in a spring sweepstakes contest.
- The Largest known prime number was discovered in January by a computer at a university in Missouri.
- The CAS announced changes to the Fall 2016 Syllabus of Basic Education.
- Will R become the one Big Data Tool to rule them all? Forbes looks at the growing applications for the statistical computing language.
- The American Academy of Actuaries released its new US Qualification Standards Attestation Form.
- The IAA President Malcolm Campbell gave his 2016 Presidential Address, which you can watch in full online.
Life & Annuities
- Stephen Abrokwah, PhD, examines how to make Life Insurance relevant to Millennials in the Actuary Magazine.
- Rising rates and longer life expectancies are affecting the annuities industry in tricky ways.
- Researches find causes for higher death rates among middle aged white Americans.
Retirement & Pension
- Last year US Public Pensions posted the lowest investment returns since the 2008 credit crisis.
- NFL players are the latest workers to face pension woes from their multiemployer defined benefit pension plan.
P & C
- CAS Enters Into Mutual Recognition Agreement with Institute of Actuaries of India.
- The CAS hired its first staff actuary. Rick Gorvett reflects on his first two weeks in the position.
- The CAS addresses frequently asked questions about the new subsidiary of the CAS, the CAS Institute or iCAS, that will offer new credentials and specialized professional education for quantitative professionals.
Sports & Entertainment